Here at Open Hearts Center, we are remembering our blessings and biggest accomplishments of the year in celebration of the work we have done and in anticipation of the great things to come in 2018!
- WE MOVED! An incredible amount of time spent dreaming and planning for the new facility came to fruition this June, when Open Hearts relocated to a larger, more centralized location on Coxe Avenue.
- We received a grant from the Cannon Foundation of $25,000 for the purchase of ADA approved, adjustable tables, chairs, supply cabinets, and acoustic panels for the new location. Open Hearts continues to fundraise for several items from the new facility wish list, included at the bottom.
- The Asheville Music School taught weekly songwriting classes for Open Hearts artists during the spring and fall this year, thanks to a grant from the Asheville Area Arts Council. The classes culminated in two CD release parties in April and November.
- Artists who took part in our Supported Employment Program in 2017 received coaching to write, illustrate, publish, and sell their books and also received training and funding for other creative projects.
- Open Hearts Art Center was voted one of the top nonprofits that serves the arts for Western North Carolina in the Mountain Xpress! We are also featured in this year’s Give!Local Guide in the Xpress for the first time.
- Opening Night at Open Hearts, presented by the Asheville Affiliates, was the first big public event at our new location. Many generous local businesses donated services and goods to make the event a huge success!
- A collaborative project between Open Hearts artists and Asheville Contemporary Dance Theatre, “The Color of Dance,” which was supported by the NC Arts Council, involved 30 weeks of one hour rehearsals to develop performances that debuted at the BeBe Theatre in June.
- Artists performed the Annual Talent Show at Open Hearts to a wonderful, sold out crowd!
- We are grateful for support from local businesses that displayed Open Hearts artists’ work throughout the year. Businesses also hosted events benefitting the program, including Wicked Weed Brewing’s first Festival of Artistry. In addition, Ultimate Ice Cream Company dedicated a Flavor of the Month to raise awareness about Open Hearts Art Center.
- We had 26 staff members, 12 volunteers, and 4 interns, who made 2017 a pivotal year for Open Hearts Art Center through giving of their talents daily, from the heart, to benefit another human life and to make a positive impact in our community and in our world.
Want to help Open Hearts Art Center make 2018 even better? Check out our wish list here: